Thursday 25 June 2015

Operation Day!



I have to admit that I was slightly nervous about the operation and had seen that a few different procedures were possible. I hadn’t previously discussed any of these with the consultant so was not sure what their preferred option was.

The two main types are – 1. Open surgery – where the leg is opened and the tendon is essentially stitched together. 2. Percutaneous procedure – 3 incisions are made along the Achilles, the broken Achilles is stitched at the top and then at the bottom incision and the two ends are pulled together at the centre incision.

After viewing this video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jRfgwX7n8) I was quite keen to have the percutaneous op which fortunately turned out to be the procedure they used at the hospital I was admitted to.

The speed of the surgery was very impressive - I was getting prepped for the operation at 10am and it was all completed just after 11am! As this was all done under local anaesthetic I was out of hospital before lunch time! The pain has been very low since the operation so have not had to take any pain relief (yet!!).



The procedure I had undertaken was similar to the one in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0I3ahkp9Mw. In my operation I could definitely feel the tendon being pulled together when the surgeon tightened the nylon and tied the reef knot at the end of the procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment