Thursday 25 June 2015

Achilles Injury

I am a fit 35 year old male who has been doing quite a lot of long distance running over the last 5 years or so. Earlier this year I decided to get back into a sport that I used to do up until my mid-twenties which was track and field athletics. I picked up a few injuries when I initially started to get back into it but these were nothing serious and I always recovered within a few days.

On the 18th of June, I had just begun sprinting and felt a snapping noise in my lower left leg which caused me to fall to the ground in a panic. I just about managed to drive home, applied ice to the injury and started googling what the most likely injury was. As soon as I sustained the injury I knew I had snaped my achilles but was still in a bit of denial at this stage!

After 24 hours of trying to convince myself that it was a calf tear, I finally went to A&E on the 20th of June and had it confirmed by Ultrasound that I had fully ruptured my left Achilles’ tendon! Not really the news you want to hear!! I was put in a temporary plaster cast and given an appointment on the 21st of June to see a consultant and discuss what my treatment options were.


No comments:

Post a Comment